Welcome to the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Oak Harbor. The goal of our church services and activities is healing and spiritual growth.
We are a branch of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston. It is one of roughly 2,000 branch churches worldwide in 80 countries. Our Sunday Church Service, Sunday School, Wednesday Evening Testimony Meetings, and Reading Room are open to everyone in the community.
Our Sunday service begins at 10 a.m. and lasts one hour. The Service is based on weekly Bible Lessons and includes readings from the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, hymns, and a solo. Two “Readers” from the church membership, conduct the services. One reads from the King James Version of the Bible, and the other reads from the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health, which helps explain the spiritual meaning of the Bible passages.
Everyone is welcome to attend our one-hour Wednesday Meeting. Our Testimony meeting is held at 7:30 p.m. at the Church. Testimony meetings include readings from the Bible and Science and Health that speak to a current issue or need in the community or the world. Following the reading, those in attendance may voluntarily stand and give gratitude for experiences of spiritual healing or insight gained from the study of Christian Science.
Christian Science Society, Oak Harbor was established on December 8, 1949. Services were held in various locations around town, including the Naval Base. The Society was recognized as a branch of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts on October 6, 1955. Members of the Society included many Navy people as well as local Scientists.
In 1956, an unexpected sum of money from a Christian Scientist, whom the group did not know, became the nucleus of the building fund. Two lots in town that were given to the group, were eventually sold and used to purchase needed items. In 1959 additional Navy Housing was being built and excess building materials were offered for sale to non-profit organizations. Materials were purchased as well as a building to be torn down to make room for the new housing. Two of the founding members of the Society donated the building site. The building was designed and built by local members, family members and friends. The first service in the new edifice was held July 18, 1961. Dedication services were held on October 13, 1962, when all debts were paid and the title cleared.
On May 3, 2006, The Mother Church recognized our new status as First Church of Christ, Scientist. The original building has undergone numerous renovations and upgrades and the members today are proud of their edifice as those early pioneers were in 1959.
Additional History information is available in brochure form from the Christian Science Reading Room.
The Mission of First Church of Christ, Scientist, Oak Harbor, Washington, is to teach and preach the Gospel, and heal like our Master, Christ Jesus. We strive to grow spiritually, correct false beliefs, and to share Christian Science with our community through church services and other activities.